Tuesday, February 18, 2014

I'm an Adult, I Swear.

Yesterday morning, I was listening to Disney music while getting ready… I’m an adult, I swear.

I cut myself, went to grab a Band-Aid and realized my Band-Aids are Finding Nemo themed… I’m an adult, I SWEAR!

While trying to pick out what to wear to work, all I wanted to wear was my onesie pajamas… I’M AN ADULT, I SWEAR!!!

I should have realized that at some point, my day of feeling like a little kid would end up getting in my way. I just never imagined it’d be due to being hangry (hunger turning you angry) and impatient and those two things combined causing me to explode.

What are you suppose to do when you’re suppose to be a professional adult and you just start kicking and screaming like a toddler? When you can no longer control yourself because your hunger has gotten in the way? I just completely lost control of myself. It’s never happened that badly to me before.

So I had a few options:

Finally grab lunch then go curl up in my bedroom and cry. The route that I like to call “continuing the toddler streak”.

Finally grab lunch then pretend like the morning never happened.  Nicknamed “ignorance is bliss”.

Or, my final option…

Finally grab lunch, and then reevaluate the day. Determine ways to better handle these situations in the future, and why it was such a bomb today. AKA “being an adult sucks”.

Obviously, all routes must begin by grabbing food. So I went home, grabbed a frozen pizza, and began debating the second half of my route. Which fork in the road do I want to take? When I realized that I had to head over to Louisiana the next day to head back out to a rig, my choice was pretty easy. “Being an adult sucks” would have to be the fork I chose.

So that’s where I was, being an adult. Listening to Disney music as I started laundry and packing for my trip to the rig, but still, being an adult. 

In this world, it’s not always the most fun decision, but when you’re an adult; it’s necessary to remember that you don’t have a choice if you want to succeed. So here I am, trying to determine how to better handle stress when hangry and beginning to prepare for my next task. I’m looking forward to the next time I visit home and can opt for the toddler route again because I have my parents to be the adults, but until then, I suppose I will have to rub some dirt in it and move on.

Lessons learned:
  • Always carry snacks.
  • Never wait until 3pm or later for lunch (sorry work, you don’t always come first).
  • Sometimes admitting defeat is the best option.
  • Did I mention to always carry snacks?



When was the last time you wished you didn’t have to be an adult? What did you do to help you prevail through that slump?

No comments:

Post a Comment